"On such a little thing my life hung that I often marvel that I escaped so easily. Had not the rifle of the leader of the party swung from its fastenings beside his saddle in such a way as to strike against the butt of his great metal shod spear I should have snuffed out without ever knowing that death was near me. But the little sound caused me to turn, and there upon me, not ten feet from my breast, was the point of that huge spear, a spear forty feet long, tipped with gleaming metal, and held low at the side of a mounted replica of the little devils I had been watching.
But how puny and harmless they now looked beside this huge and terrific incarnation of hate of vengeance and of death. The man himself, for such I may call him, was fully fifteen feet in height and, on earth, would have weighed some four-hundred pounds. He sat his mount as we sit a horse, grasping the animal's barrel with his lower limbs, while the hands of his two right arms held his immense spear low at the side of his mount; his two left arms were outstretched laterally to help preserve his balance, the thing he rode having neither bridle or reins of any description for guidance.
And his mount! How can earthly words describe it! It towered ten feet at the shoulder; had four legs on either side; a broad flat tail, larger at the tip than at the root, and which it held straight out behind while running; a gaping mouth which split its head from its snout to its long, massive neck."
A Princess of Mars by
The green martian race represents some of the most dangerous alien foes that adventurers can run into on the surface of Mars. These strange beings have their routes & ancient byways across the surface of the red planet. There are other monsters who follow in their wake & even pray on these fierce alien warriors. These creatures are often the forgotten & seldom talked about real danger of the green martian race.
1d20 Green Martian Ruins & Encounter Table
- A former city ruin of the ancient ocean going martian race that has been taken over by Green Martian warriors & their tribes. There are 1d100 of these fierce alien warriors & they will kidnap any PC's for selling into slavery & ransom.
- 1d10 Ulsio feeding on the still living green warrior who has been strapped down by parties unknown. He's missing one limb but will finish off any of the alien rats & is actually a member of the Thark tribe. Thankful to the PC's he will sign on to the party as a hireling. He knows of treasure vaults nearby.
- Two different tribal caravans of 1d100 green men are at war with one another & they are so intensely fighting. They will surround the party as another d100 of the fierce warriors level 2 fighters on the other side of the party's location. Both sides will suddenly stop & turn on the party for interfering with them. There is an ancient Martian cache of treasure that they are fighting over. This is a point of honor for the tribes!
- An honorable tribe of green martians is on caravan & looking for guards to help them. They can pay 1d20 gold coins each. They don't know that they have been targeted by a group of black martian air pirates who have 1d20 ships in the area. The black martians are using an ancient canal city as their base. This city sits right on top of one of the ancient entrances to the Martian underworld. There is an ancient horror that wants to finish off the green tribe & is telepathically controlling the pirates.
- A green martian princess has been taken over by an alien parasite that is controlling her. She's mentally dominating her entire tribe & making them raid anyone coming into their territory. She's working for the Martian ring of darkness black wizard faction. There are 1d30 warriors in her tribe. They have advanced weapons including flyer technologies! Below their location is a dangerous dungeon of horror!
- A dungeon belonging to the green martians has exploded with alien martian brain parasites. They are taking over anyone they can but there is lots of treasure & super science artifacts to be had.
- 1d20 Green Martian warriors 3rd level are on a blood hunt for a nasty red murderous assassin. They will make warrior on anyone they come across & are armed with short sword, long sword, daggers, radium pistols & rifles. They are very dangerous & laugh like lunatics.
- A green martian sorcerer named Naga San is on the hunt for sacrifices to his dark gods. He has two telepathically controlled hunting cadlots on his side hunting in the nearby hills. Naga san is a 5th level wizard and shunned by all his kind! He loathes red men & anyone who does not worship the dark gods!
- A green martian prince is on the hunt for his kidnapped Jeddak & his warriors have been killed by the kidnappers. He has no coin but will appeal to the party's honor for help. The air pirates have 5000 gold coin bounty on his father.
- 3 green female warriors on the trail of an escaped juvenile who has injured itself with a slight head wound. The little alien is disoriented & the youngingly hunters are on trail. There is a banth prowling nearby guarding the remains of a green black wizard's resting place. Will you help?
- An outcast green warrior is hunting for the tomb of his ancestor in order regain the family long sword to perhaps win his honor back. He needs your help to locate this alien dungeon.
- There are 1d10 fierce banth green banth hunters on the trail of a murderous rogue pair they are trying to track down a rogue pair that's murdered several of their people & a farmstead of red tribal farmers. This is a point of honor to them & they need your help. The banths are under the evil influence of an artifact which is a part of the one level ruin that they have made their den in.
- Two red warriors 2nd level fighters are fleeing in a single flyer going on full throttle. They are fleeing three green flyers in hot pursuit. Suddenly one of the shots from the greens knocks them from the sky! They fall & will beg anyone to take a map,an strange artifact & the letter that they give. These murderous red warriors have killed a green princess & stolen a tribal artifact from this green warrior tribe! The air pirate chief has been plotting this for years & longs for the tribe's dungeon treasure! The party now has an honor debt because of possession of the artifact/idol! They must clear their own names!
- Gamerous Thul A green martian psychic wanders across the desert in rags wounded! He needs your help! He rants about a lost floating city in the hills & the green air pirates! There is a map in his possession & as a 3rd level psychic he's a valuable NPC. The air pirates are under a green martian black wizard who hates the Thul tribe with a passion & wants anyone helping them exterminated!
- The tribe of the purple spiral has a caravan going from one lost city to another. Their psychics contact your party telepathically and offer guard duty in exchange for gold. They also have a strange spiral dungeon of the ancient that they want cleaned out if your brave & have honor enough.
- Thursday Wells the Green Martian warrior & general whose an ally of the humans wants recruits to help him clean out a dungeon of the ancients under a nearby colony. There is an ancient evil that slumbers there. But there is also treasure to be had in the form of 1d10 super science artifacts
- A run away Green martian princess whose only 100 years old has decided to 'see the world' and is looking for hirelings. Unknown to her is the fact that 1d4 rogue green warriors 2nd level are out to track & kill her. They have already her 'telepathic trace' and are after her. She is actually the key to a series of green martian monoliths that hold the tribal treasure for her people of the dead sea bottoms.
- 1d20 green warriors are on the hunt for a certain fossil on the dead sea bottoms that's sacred to their tribe. Unknown to them is the fact that a green martian wizard is also after the same fossil! This 5th level wizard will stop at nothing & has hired a group of martian air pirates to kill them. The party has the opportunity to help them before their attacked!
- 1d10 green martian warriors are escorting the tribal treasure to a new lost city location & they are looking for hirelings. You might sign on but there's a green warrior 1st level spy among them whose working for a cabal of martian air pirates who will close in for a raid!