“This place had once been the seat of an evil older than mankind and wider than the known universe.”
This morning a player of mine approached me in the local coffee shop where we started talking about the Sons of Kyuss both the legendary monsters & the rock band. But more on the Fiend Folio monster of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons first edition legend. And it got me thinking about the Sons of Kyuss. After all Halloween is the perfect time for these things!
Bell of Souls has an excellent article on the Sons of Kyuss but it doesn't really dive too much into the lore of the monsters. But dives into their background leaving fifth edition lore to sort out much of their mythology;" In 5th Edition the Spawn of Kyuss had its lore sorted out. They were created by Kyuss, who was a high priest of Orcus, the demon prince of undeath, and he created these walking plague monsters as an expression of Orcus’ intent to replace all life with undeath. They do not eat, do not sleep, they care for nothing save to slay the living and create more of their kind. Worse yet, creatures transformed into Spawn of Kyuss themselves have their souls trapped within the corpse, preventing the individual from being raised or resurrected until the body is destroyed and the soul released. In 5th Edition, these undead look much like an ordinary zombie from a distance, until you close with them, and then the mass of writhing green maggots surge forth, eager and hungry to create more of their masters’ dark creations.
For the mythology this get's away from the meat & undead heart of the Sons of Kyuss. The leprous mummy like undead horrors from the depths of the Fiend Folio first edition.
Kyuss achieved immortality at a terrible price for each of those worms bares a fragment of his undead soul. The cult has grown across the planes & is the abomination to the Egyptian deities that it mocks through its trappings of horror.
Where stalk the sons & daughters of Kyuss undead horror & plague follow in their wake! Originally the Sons were a plague upon Greyhawk but it wasn't long before they spread across the planes!
How?! The far realms of course. Yes the demi god had achieved immortality but he was spread across the planes scattered to the four winds. His horror arrived on 'The World of Aihrde'. And it set to work spreading its leprous evil in spades.
On the world of Judge's Guild Wilderlands of High Fantasy the plague that was Kyuss spread like a dark wind across the desert regions & beyond. There were however a great crusade to push the horrors back beyond the edge of the world.
The priests of Kyuss still stumble through the dark nights of the Wilderlands spreading their plagues & horrors as they roam. The plague still crops up now & again with the stumbling & shambling of the cult of Kyuss. Now there are several minor orders of paladins & knights dedicated to eradicating the cult & its undead wherever they are found.
On Hyperborea the Sons of Kyuss plague was actually checked by the arrival of the Green Death. The spread of the horrors beyond the Diamond Desert was halted & checked by the destruction of the Green Death when even death may die under the gaze of another god.In certain circles of Keltic & Hyperborean shaman's networks these horrors are known. The Druids know of this hate of old & they loath these things of the anti life.
All of this was for naught the worms & cult were entrenched on the far off world. There are those who insist that the Sons of Kyuss were gone but many reports come in from many corners of explosions of the cult's activities across the planes!
Ten reasons Why The Sons of Kyuss are still active & dangerous!
- The sons are an invasive cult & infest any & all ruins that they can! The multiplication of their numbers are paramount to the interests of the cult.
- Many times the Sons place themselves in around artifacts & treasures to spread the 'faith' of their numbers.
- Kyuss & Orcus hate each other often battling for supremacy for their undead spawn.
- The sons are pure evil & even the devils put aside their differences to eradicate them.
- Those affected by the diseases of Kyuss can actively be sometimes controlled by the demigod itself. They are unwilling vectors of the cult moving from place to place.
- Those within the embrace of Kyuss are aware of the demigod owning their souls & tormenting them. This very fact means that they are willing to do anything for temporary relief from the ancient horror's whims.
- The cult actively steals treasures & artifacts to lure others especially adventurers into its clutches.
- The sons have a sort of hazy collective undead consciousness that enables them to commune across vast distances & with their demi god master.
- The worms are actively spread by cult members as a sarciment of immortality little knowing the horror that goes with them.
- Every night the sons of Kyuss stumble across the deserts & wastelands of worlds spreading themselves a bit more to bring all under the will of Kyuss.