What no one realizes is that I've run it in the past using an unholy combination of Rpg Pundit's Dark Albion, Astonishing Swordmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, & Dark Albion's Cults of Chaos.
I can't say that this is an original idea at all I took my OSR pee's & ques from Tim Brannan 2016's Pundit's Dark Albion review; "I mentioned in the past that Dark Albion is particularily friendly to +Jeff Talanian's Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea. Using a page from DA:CoC one could easily add DA style elves (and of course their cults) into the world of AS&SH. AS&SH style witches and warlocks seem particularly suited for the the chaos magic of DA. "
I've used both Dark Albion & Dark Albion Cults of Chaos to create Inferno & Chaos cults based on the demons & devils from Dante's Inferno. I use these across the board for my various OSR campaigns.
- The alternative Hell will confuse the heck outta of players who are used to the usual mythology of the classic TSR era planes.
- Several of the devils & demons are very nice to see in their in their proper place & they fit the stereo types of Chaos quite nicely.
- The cults of the book are perfect replacements for the various infernal cults
- Several blood thirsty horrors from the Inferno are perfect for the edge of the world of Albion & even gasp Greyhawk
- Demons from Hell instead of the Abyss makes things very interesting for old school play.
- Hell is very aggressive & has some real stakes to conquer various planes Prime
- Using Dark Albion with Fantastic Heroes & Witchery one could create various agents of Law, Chaos, & Neutrality.
- The overview of the Rose War & real world history makes a very vibrant campaign tapestry.
- There are so many options that one could take the cult thing into the Dungeon Crawl Classic funnel realm with the PC's being escaped damned.
- Hell takes thing unto the next level.
Rpg Pundit's Dark Albion, Astonishing Swordmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, & Dark Albion's Cults of Chaos works very well with other OSR systems including the Castles & Crusades rpg. There are lots of Hellish options with such a combination. The PC's are going to have to do a lot of dungeon exploration to keep two steps ahead of the powers of Hell.