"I felt like lying down by the side of the trail and remembering it all. The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream, like a piece of forgotten song drifting across the water, most of all like golden eternities of past childhood or past manhood and all the living and the dying and the heartbreak that went on a million years ago and the clouds as they pass overhead seem to testify (by their own lonesome familiarity) to this feeling. Ecstasy, even, I felt, with flashes of sudden remembrance, and feeling sweaty and drowsy I felt like sleeping and dreaming in the grass"
The Dharma Bums (1958)
Some of the Dharma (1997
The Dharma Bums (1958)
By Jack Kerouac
Elijah in the Desert, 1818, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Down in the darkest parts of the lower viberational planes of dream locked between the Burroughs/Bakshi realms are the wilderness of consciousness. These are lands of incredible beauty & absolute horror. Here the possible futures of mankind & the absolute pasts of peoples dreams are woven together to form the patch work landscape of a world of deep dreamings. Here creatures of dream feed on the magick of mankind & adventurers who brave this place are in constant danger.
This patch work mini plane of dreams & peusdo history touch a variety of planes making it the perfect but dangerous trail world through the subconscious. Here many wizards come to set up a temporary abode to observe the ever change chaos of the dreams of trillions of beings throughout the planes. The ever changing landscape can drive men insane as bits of this reality change with each & every day. Dream cancer is a problem as the chaos of the place eats at order brought into it.
Flora dedicated to feeding on the semi conscious thoughts of beings thrive here as the weird pesudo thought forms & dreams drip through the cracks of dimensions. A billion thoughts can sustain the plane for days on ends as the skies alight with the crashing of electrical phenomenon caused by the dying of dreams.This is a place where the forces of chaos are the rule & norm. The power of the mind is king & there are peoples of incredible skill & passion who live here. They are insane by conventional standards but thrive here in the thought shadows of man.
Mankind is like dogs, not gods — as long as you don't get mad they'll bite you — but stay mad and you'll never be bitten. Dogs don't respect humility and sorrow.
Some of the Dharma (1997
The Quallan barrens are a place of stable instability where dwell the insane tribes of Qullan who are masters of this part of the world. They breed in the hills & communicate in the signs of chaos. Their ever sharp blades are able to cut through most creatures but they will occasionally work with a wizard totally dedicated to Chaos. They only respect strength but their insanity twists & turns them as it will & they will eat anyone should the mood take them.
1d10 Encounters Within The
Wilderness of Consciousness & Dream
- A band of dream traders combing the wilderness for dream selves of suicides & fools to be taken to the forges of the witch men & turned into enchanted items & potions
- 1d4 mad sage quadruplets who are all the same conscious split by the dreaming of magick. It or they know 1d6 spells of 6th level & are glowing with the magic of dreams.
- 1d8 adventurers who have survived an encounter with a wizard of chaos & his Quallan minions.
- 1d10 dream goblins on their way to getting a potion from a wizard deep in the dream worlds. They have 1d6 small items for trade & will engage in gossip.
- A giant sentient slug thing that is on its way to a conference but has need of adventurers for a small quest. Willing to pay in gold or dream currency.
- 3 skull faced Formorians on a raiding mission armed with club,bows, & arrows. They are not impressed with humans they've run across.
- An Elven wilderness scout whose looking for a good home for his people who have been recently displaced.
- Band of 1d8 Greyhawk adventurers who are utterly lost & yet their wizard is pressing them deeper into the wilderness
- 1d8 priests of the dream gods on holy mission to gain new recruits for a mission deep into the wilderness
- A young dragon on a mission of gaining a spell from his ancient master who lives deep in this realm but now he's utterly lost. A gang of slavers is looking to take him. You arrive just in time to help him.
Needless to say that some of the most dangerous Fey & Fairy call these realms home. The deeper wildernesses are their homes & they will destroy any human or near human intruders they run across. Enchanted sleep is the least of their punishments.
Tribes of Gremlins & the smaller humanoids will ambush, kill, & eat intruders. There are rumors that these sections of the wildness were the home to the empire of the elves but this mere rumor. The first sign of a satyr & his charges is usually too late for a party of adventurers.
Here in these ruins are supposedly gateways to the future when the gods have died, other gateways to the dungeons of a great castle that was destroyed on the world of the hawk, & other gates that lead to fantastic treasures. The wilderness of consciousness is not a place to adventure for the faint of heart.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.