William S. Burroughs
"I'm trying to remember when it started?It was 1980 something. The lights, the heat, they went out. Then the machines & the guns stopped. The first of the stone tipped arrows hit our soldiers down on 42nd street after the grey black fog took New York City. They were in the fog, the black warriors speaking gibberish & armed with those incredibly sharp blades. Then the giants & their hammers. I still hear my men screaming at night you know!"
Sargent Bryan Renolds New York United Police
On the planes of the Earth where the edges of an alien empire touch the Kerouac Wilderness a vast & alien intelligence grew jealous of the works of mankind. The used the old bridge ways & moon beam gates. They invaded & the world of man is now locked in a war of incredible stakes.
New York was the first to fall & now the seat of a new Drow military empire but it is a fragile thing held together by mercenary troops, demonic magic, & absolute resolution on the part of the demon elves. Many adventurers have made the crossing over into this Prime across the dimensional straits of the Burroughs/Bakshi realms. They brave the mutants, madmen, cultists, & others who work for the Drow forces.
Adventurers have been training human forces to combat the machinations of the Drow but it is a matter of time & numbers. Machines, technologies, etc sometimes work with the aid of powerful magicks. But the forces of darkness always seem one step ahead with demons & other powerful monsters always lurking in the lower dimensional sink holes. Those venturing into the 'front' can expect to be paid in relics, jewelry, some treasures, & other baubles common to 'the real world'. They seldom get the opportunity to spend their pay.
This is a war of attrition & darkness.
1d10 Random Encounters In
New Drow City
- 1d8 Drow Assassins on a raid into human settlements. They are growing careless because of winning territory in recent weeks.
- 1d6 Giant troll mercenaries going out on sacrifice patrol & looking for humies for the alters.
- A flesh crafter & 1d10 of his charges going to terrorize the locals & murder in the name of their nameless gods.
- Patrol of 1d10 Drow warriors going on a raid. 2nd level fighters armed with arrows & poison
- Flesh crafted terror weapon AC 6 with 10 hit points
- Giant slime monster about to go & 'clean' a neighbor hood. It expects little resistance.
- Disguised Drow junk peddlers going to sell goods to the humies. They have 1d10 soul stones in their possession
- Drow child snatcher working to secure kids for the sacrifice alters. He has 1d20 victims at present & is working with 2 night trolls.
- Night ogre with 3 Resistance fighters for his Drow witch mistresses. Armed with a heavy crossbow
- Drow witch retinue with 4 Drow witches of 6th level & 12 first level fighters out on gathering duty.
Photo of downtown New York By Derzsi Elekes Andor
There are pockets of null time where the streets open back into the past because of the magicks that the Drow employed. But these are traps where the consciousness of the victim can be drawn back into the before time & their bodies become easy pickings for the 'night ogres' who wander the streets gathering up those who dream of the world before. Anyone caught in such places must make a save vs wands or be caught 1d20 years before the invasion in a dream like haze.
Night ogre mercenaries brought in from the Underworld of the Dreamlands work for the various witch clans of the Drow. They ply their trade under the cover of twilight wandering across the city making it very dangerous for any adventurer they come across. They are hunched backed but slightly stronger & more intelligent then the average ogre. They also use a variety of Dreamworld magicks to seize any adventurer for torture they come across. These beings lurk on the edges of The Kerouac Wilderness & certain spots on Hyperborea.
New Drow City isn't a vacation spot for adventurers & it comes with a whole different set of criteria when adventuring there. The daylight offers no reprise from the dark forces as they have brought a variety of fell Fey creatures with them. There are also Drow witches who wander the city in the disguise of humanoid animal mutates. Will this plane Prime fall to these dark forces or will the presence of adventurers help to free this once great world?!