Wherever a treasure vault or other repository of relics or artifacts are uncovered in the ancient wastes. There is a good chance that some ancient spiritual guardian watches over these treasures. These spiritual guardians can be very dangerous and tiresome to adventurers because of the dogged nature and sheer will power of these creatures. They will sometimes keep watch over the areas of their charges long after the treasures or relics that the guard sometimes have turned to dust. Here then are six random guardian spirits that will test the metal, minds, and patience of your adventurers with these encounters.
A series of simple rituals will summon one of these from the depths of the Outer Darkness. There is far more to these simple spirits then they first appear their demonic natures betraying them after 1d6 rounds. They will appear to be lawful at first but within six rounds or so they will begin to lose patience & sanity as their chaotic natures erode their facade away. These chaotic spirits will turn on anyone within 20 feet of them. These spirits will often have the powers of a minor demonic spirit or Abyssal creature. They can temporarily for one hour a day manifest a body of the semi shadowy stuff of the Abyss for AC: 15 & HP:5
They will have the following demonic traits :
- Immunity to electricity and poison.
- Resistance to acid cold , and fire
- Summon (Sp): Many demons share the ability to summon others of their kind (the success chance and type of demon summoned are noted in each monster description). Demons are often reluctant to use this power until in obvious peril or extreme circumstances.
1d6 Random Spiritual Guardians
For Your Dungeons Encounter Table
- This guardian was an ancient warrior whose spirit was sent the Abyss & whose ghost has been bound to this area, he guards what he thinks is a cache of ancient weapons and relics of the ancients. He apologizes even as he drains away your PC's life force. He is polite to a fault but very dangerous as he will pursue all over the Earth those who plunder his charges. Manifests in full armor and with weird weaponry.
- A bound Jinn for this area when it manifests it glows with an unearthly light and stands for the soul as it reaches to murder a PC for the sheer malice over his treasure and space being violated. Violence will result over trespassing over its charge.
- A shadow spirit of the darkest type that resembles an undead thing of weird aspect when encountered. The phantom thing will manifest when the dust, and power of its status and attack those who came to prey upon its charges of treasure, relics, and items of super science.
- This demonic guardian is a form of ghoul who manifests as per an ancient necromancer's curse. The ghouls will act as per the treasure encounter table and its where they can find those who have violated its charge. This will cause the ghoulish guardian to track those who would sell its charges and murder them.
- A shadow like spirit created from the remains of several fallen demon warriors now forged into a strange shape shifting mass of violence & shadow. The thing will stalk & murder anyone coming near its treasures & charges.
- A fallen mane of a great king now brought low by its ancient subjects as the guardian for its own stolen loot. The thing howls silently in rage as it guards its former spoils of war & pillaging.