I received this book from my better half about 2 weeks ago. This book is told from a pagan perspecetive but I'll reviewing this from a gamer's perspective. This isn't any slight to anyone especially the author or followers of any faith.
What the book is about from the publisher's webpage:
This extensive guide reveals the mysterious and beautiful world of fairies. Discover how fairies of the forest and spirits of the water and air can enhance and enrich your life.
This new edition of The Fairy Bible is the essential guide to the world of fairies. Through detailed descriptions and beautiful illustrations you will learn about the realm and culture of the fairy folk, including fairy rings and paths, plants and animals and music and language. The comprehensive yet easy-to-use directory provides information on 120 types of fairies, such as gnomes, naiads and kelpies and where to find them. You will also discover how to recognise fairy signs, how to perform spells to attract fairies for good luck, wealth and love, and learn rituals to help you uncover the wisdom and insights of tree and flower fairies. With this enchanting book you will gain a magical insight into the power of fairies and their beguiling world.
The Fairy Bible by Teresa Moorey whose done her homework. Right off the bat I've enjoyed this book. Again this isn't a gaming book but it clocks in at over 400 pgs exactly. Four hundred digestible page to be exact. So let me hit the highlights.
- The book features top notch illustrations
- The Fairies & Fey are from a U.K. perspective which is unique & very much within the European tradition of myth & legend
- The bible gives a great overview of all of the usual suspects but with some interesting twists
- The book has an index which many game books could learn to have. Hint hint gaming manufacturers & designers.
- The book proves an overview of the fey of the elements, woods,wild, & many many others.
- The encyclopedia is written from a pagan prospective & there are rituals included within. An enterprising dungeon master could use these for a clerical hedge magic practice or two. I say this with some trepidation & feel that this could be handled with role playing & or dice.
- Many of these fey are available in Osric, Swords & Wizardry, & the classical D&D or AD&D resources
In closing this book will prove any dungeon master with great variety of legendary or mythological fey that will confound, confuse, & conflict his players for years to come. The book can be ordered through Octopus books Here