"Coward—you could never face the dimensional shambler whose hide I put on to scare you—the mere sight of it alive, or even the full-fledged thought of it, would kill you instantly with fright! Iä! Iä! It waits hungry for the blood that is the life!”
H.P. Lovecraft & Hazel Heald, The Horror In the Museum
1d10 Lovecraftian Dimensional Shambler Encounter Table
- There is a shimmering at the edge of your vision! Quick roll initative as an insane multi jointed claw wings its way toward your head. It strikes for 1d4 points of damage as the shambler comes for you
- You see a ghostly outline of something drunkly inhuman and insane that sways for a moment clutching a bloody rag of what was once a human being. Within its claws the bleeding spacer twitches as the thing vanishes to the higher dimensional regions. The blood drips on your deck plate.
- For a moment there is a sound like tearing metal as reality shatters and an ancient evil's insectiod eyes materialize along with a head that just isn't right. There is a 40% chance of the horror marking one of the party as its victim for later murder.
- Blood, bits of clothing, and an array of metallic objects appear before your eyes falling from nowhere. There is a 20%chance of something valuable appearing. There is a sound like foot falls echoing off from nowhere.
- From out of the thin air there is a blood freezing sound. An insane buzzing, cackling, laughter that echoes in the air.For the rest of your flight you can't shake the feeling that someone or something is watching you.
- The ship hits a hyper spacial eddy caused by the passing of a shambler. There is a 30% chance of the inhuman insane thing now being aboard your ship.
- A bloody piece of human flesh and bone materializes out of nowhere. The meat is fresh and bloody. Even as it appears there are a set of weird tracks leading away from it and into the nearest wall. That's when you hear the sound from behind you.
- Make a dexterity check as two tremendously strong arms reach around you. That's when you hear the insane chuckle over your ear. Just then the bone hard claws scrape your ribs for 1d3 points of damage. The shambler has you.
- An odd wrinkle of hyperspace seems to be following your star ship. There is a 60% chance of it appearing at your destination before your craft arrives. Then it begins to move closer and closer to your craft.
- 1d4 dimensional shamblers appear on board your ship with the intent of murdering your party and devouring them.All shambler minis from HEREA great illustration of the monster and a favorite of mine is right HEREThe complete text for The Horror In The Museum right HERE