Grab It right Over
Need a wizard class whose pretensions for the darkness are sewn right into the background of the theme of the class? Well, from the mind of Venger Satanis comes 'The Baleful Sorcerer of Tsathag'kha Character Class' From Kort'thalis Publishing and best of all its free. This is a short, sweet, and very concise offering to the Lovecraftian gods of your favorite retroclone.
The Rpgnow blurb:
What if you want to play a sinister student of the black arts like in a sword-and-sorcery pulp?
This is an alternative (and old school, in my opinion) magic-user class for those who want something a little different, influenced by Clark Ashton Smith. The Baleful Sorcerer of Tsathag'kha is compatible with the original fantasy roleplaying game and RPGs of such ilk.
This five page offering features the art of Zarono. And it really sells the direction of this free offering, there's are several spells outlined for this class as well, just perfect for the DM to drop this one into their dark fantasy campaigns.Just in time for Halloween and your old school down and dirty dark fantasy campaign worlds this vile NPC student of the black arts.
Its a very well done offering for a free download.
Using the The Baleful Sorcerer of Tsathag'kha Character Class From Kort'thalis Publishing For Your Old School Campaign
It fits the bill, for all of your old school retroclone horror needs. This is a five page pdf plug and play class of dark magic wizardry in the old school tradition. This class in my mind is perfect for that dark serial killer wizard NPC foil.
I can't really see allowing a player to use this one even in a Lamentations Of The Flame Princess campaign . But for an NPC this product holds very close to some of the Lovecraftian madness of yesteryear in the pages of a certain magazine of the world's most popular fantasy game.
Here are are the highlights in my mind for using this class for some of the retroclone systems out there:
- This class of Lovecraftian wizard is a very nice fit into a Labyrinth Lord Realms of Crawling Chaos adventure campaign as an advanced acolyte of the Great Old Ones.
- As a vile encounter in an Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea campaign on the edges of the world of Hyperborea where sane men don't tread.
- As the leader of a cult of the Lovecraftian gods in Swords and Wizardry.
- For a game of Carcosa there are three possibilities - One the Baleful sorcerer could be a dimensional traveler trying to divine the secrets of the Carcosian setting. Or perhaps he or she might be the leader of a village of one of the multi colored Corcosian humanoids. This sorcerer might be a Lovecraftian warlord in some long forgotten bio mechanical fortress long forgotten by the Serpent Men or aliens of the setting.
- For the Lamentations of The Flame Princess setting this class has a myriad of uses and this class is just perfect for that particular style of dark Renaissance campaign. All of the the above possibilities and more are easily realized with this class.
- For OSRIC this class makes an excellent alien or planar sorcerer of dubious or highly dangerous Lovecraftian agenda to encounter. Just the type of person who might be serving some Lich, Vampire lord, priest of the Great Old Ones, or some other black hearted insane bastard to bedevil your PC's.
In closing Venger has done a very nice job of encapsulating the dire horror inherit in this class. There's not a more dangerous or black soul whose given over what's left of their essence to gods beyond the pale of man that your PC's will encounter.
Grab this one while you can and then take a look at the other offerings of Venger Satanis right over HERE
Note that a word of caution about some of Venger's other offerings, many of these are adult labeled and this should be noted for the kiddies. A word to the wise but the The Baleful Sorcerer of Tsathag'kha is PG with a side of sanity bursting horror leering from the sidelines of the product.