So Kevin Crawford has another fantastic Stars Without Number Kickstarter and the man does wonderful OSR science fiction material. This one follows up on the heels of Suns of Gold, Darkness Visible, and Skyward Steel - Starvation Cheap is made for running a full-fledged mercenary campaign in a sci-fi universe Starvation Cheap will give you the DM all of the tools to be able to run sci fi mercenary campaigns right out of the box with Stars Without Numbers or your favorite old school sci fi system.
Back It Right Over
Back It Right Over
Here's what we get in this one according to the Kickstarter:
While written for Stars Without Number, the great majority of the tools in this book are system-neutral, perfectly usable with the sci-fi game of your choice. Within these pages you'll find tools like...
- Details on the typical structure of a modern ground army. Ranks and roles are described, along with the pertinent details of military justice, the chain of command, and the various types of modern military units. GMs unfamiliar with military culture and flavor can use these pages to tighten up their game.
- Guides for creating planetary conflicts through War Tags, rolling up reasons for savage conflicts and assigning critical Vital Points that must be captured or overcome if a side is to be victorious.
- Building ground armies, dividing them into units, and dealing with the potential complications of sending modern laser rifles and gravtanks against spears and lostworlder jezails. Creating a mercenary legion? Everything you need is in here, too.
- Strategic mass combat rules for resolving these planetary wars with the armies and mercenary legions you've made. The rules are quick and streamlined, meant to give a fast outcome and focus on player involvement in offensive priorities and desperate defenses.
- GM tools for building battlefield missions and adventures, with the PCs thrown onto the field to achieve some grave task or die trying. These rules interface with the mass combat tools, making PC success in their objectives the crucial factor that tips a bitter defeat into a hard-won victory.
- Hardware, of course. Lots of merciless hardware, from self-propelled artillery guns to radioactive weaponry and semi-sentient landmines. The far future battlefield is a dangerous place to be.
Knowing Kevin Crawford's works as I do this is going ot be another top flight sci fi rpg system book and it will have everything your going to need to run a merc campaign straight out of the box. The man does good design work and has a reputation built on solid writing, he knows his subject. He's a fan of science fiction and this another project for the SWN rpg system that will require a look into. My advice straight out of the gate is too get on board and not regret it later. Stars Without Number is a solid rpg system with a ton going for it, this Kickstarter is one to watch and back in my humble opinion.