Thank you for helping to prove each & everyone of those folks wrong. I would discover in '08 the retroclone systems that I've come to love around the same time. Why I love retroclones systems is sheer variety & scope of them. Yeah I know that their supposedly someone's campaign notes & systems but I don't & didn't care. Retroclones have been a corner stone of the OSR. They don't appear to be going anywhere regardless of Wizards of the Coast finally releasing P.O.D. of both Advanced Dungeons & Dragons or original Dungeons & Dragons adventures & supplements. I'm good with this on many levels because of what its done with the table top hobby. There are twenty rules that I've developed in the old school & OSR hobby since '08;
- The players are the single most important thing at the table let them play & they will give you yards & yards of material to help create your dream campaign.
- Remain positive & keep at this hobby no matter the OSR or internet kerfuffles that go on. Read & keep reading books to keep yourself sharp. Even those books outside your comfort zone.
- Play the games & designers that you want to play as long as the players want this as well. The players are the most important people at the table.
- Be open to writing as long as it doesn't interfere with your day job. You need to eat & pay bills.
- Its only a game & a campaign don't take it personally.
- You are not responsible for a Kickstarter gone wrong let the chips fall where they may.
- Work at your day job, the hobby is just that even writing and yes you can do both.
- Family & marriage is more important then any game. Friends are what make and break this hobby. But its family that get's you through
- Don't let apathy win or it will break out from this hobby.
- Trust yourself, your opinions, and your gut but be open to other opinions, new ideas, etc.
- Write and keep writing no matter what happens it will get you through everything.
- Second guess yourself when you need to but have faith in your design & writing.
- Keep playing Dungeons & Dragons
- Don't burn out pace yourself as needed.
- Politics is crap & you need to work past it regardless of others opinion if they drop you then move on.
- Get paid where & when you can. Don't work for free ever unless it suits you.
- Develop your instincts for clown shows & B.S. let that stuff bypass you
- People are going to have problems with you so take the high road when you can.
- Never assume who your talking to is who they say they are. Talk as if you were always talking with a boss.
- Keep writing, designing,playing, & most of all enjoy yourself.
Henry Percy, 9th Earl of Northumberland, wearing Chancellor's Robes
and the Garter Ribbon.
|Anthony van Dyck (1599–1641)|