There are treasures and artifacts that defy conventional explanation, things that are far more precious to certain groups of people than can be rightly explained. Some of these things are merely alien artifacts and pieces that other beings have left behind. Adventurers, outlaws, and madmen are most likely to encounter these life changing artifacts. A random table of these weird treasures should make it far easier to deal with the outward madness and depravity that these objects and their works represent.
Out of the unimaginable blackness beyond the gangrenous glare of that cold flame, out of the tartarean leagues through which that oily river rolled uncanny, unheard, and unsuspected, there flopped rhythmically a horde of tame, trained, hybrid winged things that no sound eye could ever wholly grasp, or sound brain ever wholly remember. They were not altogether crows, nor moles, nor buzzards, nor ants, nor vampire bats, nor decomposed human beings; but something I cannot and must not recall. They flopped limply along, half with their webbed feet and half with their membranous wings; and as they reached the throng of celebrants the cowled figures seized and mounted them, and rode off one by one along the reaches of that unlighted river, into pits and galleries of panic where poison springs feed frightful and undiscoverable cataracts.
—H. P. Lovecraft, "The Festival"
1d6 Random Lovecraftian Treasures Table
- A turquoise encrusted skull of a large dog like humanoid, the skull is cover with weird sygils and runic writing. There are 1d6 black magic spells on the artifact, these spells can be used three times per day or gate in one minor demonic life form. The thing is worth 500 gold pieces easily.
- A long silver shod wand that has been formed from the twisted bones of some poor wretch. The wand can detect a dimensional breech or rupture within half a mile or more. The wand is also able to case an identify a mutant or aberration of nature when pointed at them. This artifact grows warm in the hand. The thing can also cast a cure light wounds but anyone healed in this way will be marked. Worth about 700 gold pieces for it.
- A ring made from the thigh bones of a Byakhee & allows its owner to cast call on dimensional horror The ring allows one to pass among certain Lovecraftian races as their scent of man is covered and masked for 1d4 hours
- A claw of some ancient wizard and it has 1d4 spells written on the scales and skin of the artifact. The wizard may take over the mind of the victim, allowing the horrors to enter our world
- A book bound in human flesh and its found with a cover with 70 gold pieces worth of gold work on the front. The book allows its owner to gaze into the myriad of possibilities and alternative worlds around the owner. Once per day the owner can move across time & space.
- A weird gem that contains a lost kingdom from thousands of eons ago, the kingdom is watching and having fun. The place is a strange post apocalyptic landscape and allows its owner to cast 1d6 black magics to access black reservoirs of magick and depravity.