Time does weird things when the clash of violence & blood salt the Earth, men & women get lost across the space winds of the strange. Many are transported across existence to other worlds and places where the lost & the damned wander into places long silent of the din of war. They may take up their old trade or become outlaws or adventurers.
Many settle down into the life of routine dealing with others who come their way seeking the life of adventure & glory in the wastelands. They become tavern owners, tradesmen, or take up the life of hireling because it is the only life they know. These can be the most dangerous men of all for PC's to run across because they have little or anything to lose. These men & women are dangerous indivduals whose trade is violence & whose pay check ends with murder on the battlefield. Many have no illusions about their lot in the wastelands & they come to except the fact that the war really never ends.
“The most thoroughly and relentlessly damned, banned, excluded, condemned, forbidden, ostracized, ignored, suppressed, repressed, robbed, brutalized and defamed of all 'Damned Things' is the individual human being. The social engineers, statisticians, psychologists, sociologists, market researchers, landlords, bureaucrats, captains of industry, bankers, governors, commissars, kings and presidents are perpetually forcing this 'Damned Thing' into carefully prepared blueprints and perpetually irritated that the 'Damned Thing' will not fit into the slot assigned it. The theologians call it a sinner and try to reform it. The governor calls it a criminal and tries to punish it. The psychologist calls it a neurotic and tries to cure it. Still, the 'Damned Thing' will not fit into their slots.”
― Robert Anton Wilson
1d20 Random NPC Warriors, Soldiers, & Professionals In The Wastelands Table
- 1d20 1st level fighters who have wandered in from some nameless battle field of ancient Greece, they are tired and strung out but in good spirits. They cautious and dangerous men whose abilities and weapons are ready. They have already encountered a mutant or monster.
- A group of 1d8 skeleton warriors who are free willed and sell their swords to the highest bidder.
- A lone soldier looking for his family and the slavers who took them
- Lone soldier from Arabia trying to find his brothers he's a fourth level fighter and has gun with powder, ammo, and shot.
- A group of 3rd level thieves who specialize in praying on soldiers in the wastelands
- Fifth level Amazon warriors who are being led by their 6th level priestess want to find a route back to Amazonia. They're very dangerous individuals to meet and are armed with bows, arrows, and two automatic pistols they took from a group of WWI soldiers they killed two miles back.
- A wide eyed Napoleonic era soldier who has seen too many horrors, he's on the verge of becoming a 1st level black occultist. He's got a book of black magick and its become his good luck charm in the wastes.
- 1d6 German mercenaries armed with pistols, short swords, and pikes. They're wandering about looking for employment or a way home. They're jovial but very dangerous they're humor and joking can unarm folks as to their dangerous nature of violence.
- 1d4 Roman legionaries who are looking for their brothers, they've survived several encounters with mutant, monsters, and madmen. They're extremely cautious around people and don't reveal their 5th level fighter abilities. They've Roman short sword hidden and are mounted on horses.
- 1d6 American Indian warriors armed with Sharps repeating rifles, pistols, bows, and arrows. They're on horse back and loath American soldiers. They want to get back to their families.
- Pack of 1d8 ratoid warriors from the American sector who have wandered into this madness. These 4th level fighters are armed with rifles, spears, and are mounted on giant mutant rat mounts. There eager for employment or to get back to the front of their world's war.
- 8th level necromancer who is looking for battle fields to summon more damned souls for his growing army. Even though he looks like the only individual there are actually 1d100 souls surrounding him. Killing him would send them onto their reward. He's a professional mercenary none the less in his own right.
- Mounted Elven cavalry on light unicorns have become lost from their unit. They're 7th level fighters armed with bows, arrows, and light weight guns for long range kills. They also have the usual kit for their role. They're very pragmatic about where they are. They will work for a worthy cause but want to get back to their war.
- 1d8 vat grown half devil soldiers who are used in Lovecraftian wars, they're on hover bikes and a hover transport. They're gruff, nasty pieces of work armed with energy weapons & a bad attitude. They're looking for women, employment, and battle. They're bored and that's not good.
- Warrior women from Atlantis who are looking for slaves, employment, and a way home. They've got horses, black powder pistols and shot along with swords, shield, and a 6th level summoner.
- 1d8 Vietnam era soldiers who are adapting to their circumstances, they got a helicopter and plenty of ammo for the moment but their starting to not like the wastelands. 5th level fighters every one of em.
- 1d20 Red Coats from the American Revolution era, they're professional soldiers and very nasty pieces of work. They're lost but making the best of the situation they find themselves in. They'll capture and question anyone they run across. There are 1d4 German mercenary troops working with them.
- 1d20 Deep One hybrid warriors from some far future battle ground, whose a part of a cannibal cult unit and is looking for fresh victims. They're armed with future weapons & water recycler armor so the wastelands are not a problem for them. These bastards are armed with energy weapons.
- 1d10 Eighties era American National Guardsmen, professional soldiers who were lost in the Bermuda Triangle & have a nice grouping of vehicles and weapons. They're beginning to run low on ammo but have a plan that they'll need your help with.
- 1d100 1st level barbarian tribesmen who have no idea where they are but by the gods they're going to raid someone and they're going to kill anyone they come across. They've what might pass for horses in a bad light, swords, slings, shields, and their hopped up on sacred drugs!