Deep in the Atlantian wastes there are places that move across time as grains of sand across a glass table, places adrift deep in the echoes of history. Sometimes these places can unexpectedly materialize in places where ordinary people least expect it. The following list of places can be very dangerous to the health and well being of adventurers. These places are often sought out for the relics and the chance for adventure among the ancient stone works and statues of alien kings.
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
"Ozymandias" Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792–1822).
1d10 Random Time Lost Adventure Locations Table
- Ancient temple dedicated to a group of twelve ancient and alien lords of Order who hold court here nightly. Should anyone be caught here they may tear the victim limb from limb and feed the fool or fools to giant hynenas that haunt this place. There are a fortune in ancient instruments of super science that sing and play music to their masters. The place is guarded by a demon of order who will ask those who wish to enter the temple five impossible riddles.
- This ancient and highly wrecked dimensional hopping craft is home to a pack of ancient Lovecraftian ghouls, one of which is a wizard of great potential. The craft is strung through with spider webs of ancient aspect. From the center of each web there is a bunch of soul crystals waiting for the right person to collect them. Giant crystal spiders guard the place.
- The bloated and decaying body of a demon lord serves as the temple for a cult of necromancers who specialize in bringing back the wrongfully murdered. The cult will assist in capturing the fool who commit ed the murder. They have a wide variety of ancient super science devices to assist them in locating those who need their help. They trade cash and years of bound service as holy assassins.
- The temple of a clutch of serpent men, these deadly horrors are armed with energy projectors and very bad attitudes. This temple was once a library of the serpent men themselves and contains over 1000 scrolls of metal containing a wealth of information. It is guarded by the serpent men's dangerous 1d30 wight army.
- This tremendous ocean liner has flipped on its side and is now the home for an ancient warlord who has raised a mutant army. The place is patrolled by trolls and they are armed with giant axes and clubs. There are 1d10 bandits with a 10% that one of them will be a wizard of the darkest aspect and waiting to destroy the soul of those who cross the path of their master. They will have 1d6 relics scattered around.
- 1d10 ancient wights dressed in viking armor and sporting minor magical swords guard the temple vault of their master. The temple itself is or was a space craft and has been converted to a tomb of darkest aspect.
- 1d6 reptilian warriors armed with energy weapons and ray guns, patrol a deserted Roman military base that sports a complete fortress. They are waiting for their dark messiah but raid anyone who blunders by the place. There is a hidden set of tunnels below the base and a minor flying saucer hidden as well.
- 6th level chaotic wizard and his routine of 1d8 ratmen warrior body guards armed with short swords,shields,and black powder weapons guarding an ancient tower that rises eight stories. Below ground a mini dungeon of weird aspect awaits adventurers.
- 1d8 hellish damned souls mutated by the Abyss sporting 1d4 random mutations guards a black lake that has the remains of a space craft at the bottom of it. There will be 1d3 Deep Ones basking in the strange radiations of the thing. 1d10 ancient super science relics also await the party.
- A pride of very hungry 1d6 giant mutant lions sporting 1d4 random mutations guards an ancient statue of the angel of death. At the base of the statue is a +2 sword called Night shatterer, the blade loathes undead and horrors from beyond. It will compel its owner to seek out the undead to destroy. Below the base of the statue is a hidden door that leads to a two level dungeon guarded by demon scum and horrors beyond the pale of mankind.