There are times when the real world is invaded by the horrors and nightmares from the Dreamlands of HP Lovecraft. The power and dangerous nightmares creep into our world and only adventurers can keep these things at bay. Here is a random encounter chart of some of the possible things and monsters that might come to be encountered by your heroes and outlaws on the fringes of reality.
“Well did the traveler know those garden lands that lie betwixt the wood of the Cerenerian Sea, and blithely did he follow the singing river Oukranos that marked his course. The sun rose higher over gentle slopes of grove and lawn, and heightened the colors of the thousand flowers that starred each knoll and dangle. A blessed haze lies upon all this region, wherein is held a little more of the sunlight than other places hold, and a little more of the summer's humming music of birds and bees; so that men walk through it as through a faery place, and feel greater joy and wonder than they ever afterward remember.”
― H.P. Lovecraft, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
1d10 Random It Came From
H.P. Lovecraft's Dream Lands Encounter Table
- 1d6 Spice traders of weird aspect trading in strange powders, drugs, and spice from the edges of Oukranos and bearing certain magical wines in cut ruby bottles. They are wizards of 6th level and not gentlemen to be trifled with but are willing to trade certain dreams for their strange wares.
- Two ancient ghoul priests from the Underworld looking for a missing princess from their light less realm of insanity and danger. They have two scrolls of magic that they are willing to trade for information and a +1 magical sword named Broken Spine which hums under moonlight.
- A strangely swathed Elven prince in royal finery looking for adventurers to help in a quest for the temples at the edges of Kadath. He is willing to pay in rubies and dreams of bliss. A second level mage and fifth level warrior, he bares a great burden of horror and depravity.
- A knife sharpener from edges of the of The Southern Sea who has eight enchanted knives for sale but is being hunted by an evil dream doppelganger of psychotic and enchanted aspect.
- A dream projection of Great Cthulhu who is hunting for a particular wizard's soul in the waking world. This thing of psychic power and horror is hunting and will destroy anything that gets in its way.
- A strange flabby mouthed horror from the shores of the Fantastic Realms, this ghostly phantom is partially dream and particularly dangerous because its a level draining horror that feeds on the souls of its victims as well.
- A swarm of semi demonic damned souls that have escaped from the Forbidden Lands and intend to feed on the living to gain reality in the waking world.
- A damned soul who has escaped from the clutches of Nyarlathotep, this horror counts as a ghost but its actually the remains of a wizard's soul and mutters mind blasting secrets from the corners of its mouth.
- A slippy flabby toad thing from a Black Ship, that has come to our world to seek slaves and a way back to its horror filled body. The thing is a 4th level magician that seeks to trade a valuable jeweled necklace for your soul. The thing is manipulative and very dangerous.
- A giant purple bloated spider from the plane of Leng that seeks out prey to take back within it to its eternal home of horror. The thing knows 1d6 spells and is a dangerous card player. It is easily distracted with games of all stripes. A very weird and strange nightmare given horrific form.