Adventurers from time to time may run across the cosmic horror and majestic insanity of Yog-Sothoth in one of its various incarnations of godhood and high strangeness. Here are a few of the forms of monstrous weirdness that your PC's might encounter.
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again. He knows where They have trod earth's fields, and where They still tread them, and why no one can behold Them as They tread.
- —H. P. Lovecraft, "The Dunwich Horror"
Artwork by Dominique Signoret
.great globes of light massing toward the opening, and not alone these, but the breaking apart of the nearest globes, and the protoplasmic flesh that flowed blackly outward to join together and form that eldritch, hideous horror from outer space, that spawn of the blankness of primal time, that tentacled amorphous monster which was the lurker at the threshold, whose mask was as a congeries of iridescent globes, the noxious Yog-Sothoth, who froths as primal slime in nuclear chaos beyond the nethermost outposts of space and time!
1d20 Lovecraftian Yog- Sothoth Random Encounters Table
- 1d8 strange glowing man sized globes of god essence whose very presence sets combustible materials on fire. The air is filled with unearthly chants of a million insane and alien worshipers. Save vs death or have your eye balls erupt in a fleshless wax of matter and horror. These beings give grave insights into the nature of time space.
- The air is filled with weird alien machine like entities and the very air buzzes with activity as they fly around and move across alien space times slipping between the cracks of reality itself. They whisper bits and pieces of forbidden knowledge and for a price they will tell you all they know. But can you handle the knowledge that the buzzing ones share for they are both key and gate.
- The air itself is actually the god things and each particle whispers and invades your being as you breath it. The gates of perception shatter under the weight of its presence. Gain 1d8 random spells of incredible potential.
- There are 1d6 giant spheres of plasma and liquid material that move and flow in obscene ways. The material will turn to liquid and pour itself down the throats of its victim granting them horrid visions of beyond reality. Prepare yourself for they're coming.
- The Antherous sun thing comes, a living embodiment of the living energies of Yog Sothoth which will cause 1d10 mutations in those who see its forbidden light and bath in its presence.
- The star spawn of Yog-Sothoth, a pitch black amoeba like thing floats and flows through the air made from the stars themselves and it gives visions of those places forbidden in time and space that were and are. Do not look lest ye become lost in its depths.
- The Twisting Crystal entity, made of millions of crystal shards of dead and ancient alien civilizations this thing carries with it the messages of billions gone and projects them out into the ether in a psychic shout of release and doom. Do not listen to its ancient and horrid song.
- The Other Thing is made from the blood and bile of twelve ancient demon lords who were slain by this horror as it created itself from their flesh. It watches and whispers the ancient gossips and secrets of old nameless hells. It will swallow the souls of any who witness its birth and rebirth as it creates itself.
- The Abnormal & Twisted things made from the ancient flesh of alien and long forgotten sacrifices. This entity remakes and flows the flesh of itself within and without. This old horror tells the tails and stories of ancient pathways of time and space. It also marks the ways of reincarnations between lives.
- The Gateway of Lost Lives, this is a gateway in time and space of what could have been. It eats the possibilities left behind as we move across our lives. Sorcerers and ancient alien scribes sometimes summon it to witness the 'could have been past' to divine the future. It will eat 1d30 years for such bargains.
- The Green Gates, this entity will for the price of one soul allow it to be reborn from within its green and pleasant space as ancient alien plant thing bound to this god thing. It will also transform and terraform a barren world to one teeming with life within 1d30 days. But some of its life forms are bizarre and very dangerous.
- The Dust of Old Stories this black cloud thing travels the universe and moving across the face of the dimensions collects the stories and tales of extinct peoples and stories of ancient genocides. The thing will descend and sing its songs into worthy and insane ears. This god monster will on occasion wipe away a world to preserve its stories so that they might live on within itself.
- The Dealer In Broken Pieces - This entity is a cloaked humanoid figure that moves from world to world collecting the insane thoughts of ancient black magicians and sorcerers to sell them. These pieces of magical souls will allow a mage to level up but he must pledge himself to this entity and upon his death this thing will come to collect his soul. The cycle is unending with the dealer.
- The Shatter of Visions made from a billion pieces of cosmic mirrors this entity projects a million dreams of death and disappointment. Dreams of ancient and horrid aspect are psychically projected it from this thing. Many come to worship it and bask in its insanity for insights of a most horrid type.
- The Tendrils of KU - This god thing is all that remains of the flesh and form of the KU who pledged themselves to the last alien to Yog Sothoth so that they might live for eternity. This thing dreams 1d30 visions per hour and will warp physically and mentally anything that endures the unending cycle of power and sound that comes from it. The thing worships itself as it consumes and births itself over and over again. Come hear its messages and visions.
- It Opens Doors is a minor god thing that will create and change the laws of reality around it. The thing opens forbidden dimensional doorways with its command of magic and mystery but stare at it for too long and you will become a part of its weave and pattern of mystery. Gain 1d6 spells staring at it but you have a 30% chance of becoming a part of it as each hour passes.
- The Floating Hands is a cloud and flesh thing made from over a million alien hands, claws, and appendages from across time and space. This is a god thing of violence and horror. It is called to end cities and communities. It will descend when called upon and destroy the summoner's enemies but it will also demand the soul of the summoner whose hands must join with it. The thing will write with its iron claws tales and stories of those who are a part of it. But these stories are destroyed after it is done. Those watch it must be quick or be driven mad by its revelations of horror and depravity.
- That Which Abides is a collection of ancient flesh and decaying horror, this god thing is made from the flesh of dead and ancient Old Ones. It exists because it must and collects the old magicks of wizards long past. The thing will grant 1d6 spells of horrid aspect but it must be paid in blood and deeds. Those who can not are destroyed by magic and curses uttered by the thing's multiple mouth parts.
- The Ringed Gate Thing, this ring shaped horror of flesh and alien organs sings of old and forbidden secrets. It must be paid in organs and blood sacrifice and it will grant valuable insights into ancient artifacts and relics. Very violent and dangerous entity though with a very short temper and dangerous
- Yog Sothoth itself and all the horror that goes with it. It will be angry and very hungry for the souls of the innocent.